Friday 24 September 2010

Timing

A hand grabbed me, breaking my musical reverie; I felt rather than saw the bus zip by.

Removing an earbud, I turned, "You're a real guardian angel, man".

A polite demurral. The lights turned red.

The car hit me as I stepped out. I rode the bonnet briefly before being bucked off.

Life seeped from me. Through oily steam the man knelt with sad eyes.

Sunlight shimmered a nimbus round him. I furrowed my brow.

"Oh, I'm not your guardian angel." He looked away from me, up the street, "I'm his."

A small child, maybe six, full tilt focus on his scooter, jumped the kerb and wiped out spectacularly.

The scooter trundled on, blocking my view.

The quiet man stood back, I heard the clatter and sob of a mother riding the rollercoaster from anxiety to shame.

And then relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment