Saturday 16 October 2010

True Love's Kiss

One day a young princess dropped her golden ball into the river at the very bottom of the palace gardens.

Almost at once a small green frog swam to the surface.

"I'll fetch it," he croaked. "If you will but let me eat from your plate and sleep in your bed."

The princess stared.

"You are joking, right?" She said. "My dad, the king, right, he can just buy me another ball."

And off she flounced.

The frog, crestfallen, plopped back into the water.

"Again?" said his mother, gently kissing the top of his head. "Don't worry there's plenty more - "

The frog raised a hand, "Don't say it!"

"We'll try again," she said. "Another palace, another pond."

I'll buy my own palace, he brooded. You catch more flies with money, right?

His collection of precious metals glimmered, darkly.

No comments:

Post a Comment