Friday 1 October 2010

Both original and good...

I've reached my first milestone.

I've been doing this almost a month so far, and by my reckoning I started on the 4th and I've written 23 stories, meaning I owe the pot 3.

There'll be another story coming this evening, about a guy with an interesting restaurant. I'll have some catch-up to do after that. Although perhaps I shouldn't promise the next story too soon, 23 is an enigmatic number after all, just ask William Burroughs. (Time to dig out that tinfoil hat).

Reading back through my 23 I'm pretty pleased. I've managed to condense my thoughts into a very small format and mostly, I think, they hold up.

Some of the ideas were a bit too large and cutting and refining has made them different from my original intention, but still, they're there, on screen, for people to read; a bunch of strange things happening to ordinary people.

I've created some characters and a location or two that I think I might re-visit. I'm pretty sure the Cellar that Leach looks after is a large place indeed, and things grow there.

I'm not the first person to try doing this - I mean, I stole the number of words from Twitter (sort of), and other people have been doing stories of 55 words, 3x69 words and some people have delivered up one a day since 2005 - Flash Fiction has been around for a while. But I hope I can maintain the pace over the next few months, and so far as I can tell, I'm the only one doing all the work myself.

It'll be an interesting journey for me, I hope that I can encourage a few people along with me.

Speak to you next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment