Wednesday 13 October 2010

Living by the river

The field-dampers did a good job of suppressing the mildly telepathic effects of the nyarlothol-rich atmosphere on Reno.

Meant no one knew I'd flopped the nut: two aces, an eight, with an ace in the hole.

I went all in.

The three-eyed dealer whirred and clicked dealing the turn. Another ace - man, the poon I was gonna buy.

The hard-faced prospector on my left folded. Just me and big guy waiting for the river.

I almost held my breath as the card flipped from the shoe.

Five aces? Shit.

Straining to tune mental chatter, I didn't need to be psychic to know some mechanic had played me a bad beat; cheating is death here.

Wheeling, I faced a man, mind frothing revenge

As I blasted the dealer the field evaporated, I knew.

Her father.

Seems it's a kill game...

No comments:

Post a Comment